Thursday, April 7, 2011

Trying times

The last week has been extremely trying. In my last post I had mentioned my choc o block schedule in the last 2 weeks in Mumbai when I was managing both kids without a baby maid and a busy husband . I had caveated that it was manageable as long as one of them did not fall ill. And how I was looking forward to coming to Bangalore for a month before pushing off to Zurich where there would be absolutely no help. Well one should never expect anything to turn out the way they expect as far as kids are concerned as they are random variables and the times when two random variables behave the way you want is quite rare. And true to it, A was extremely cranky the night we landed in Bangalore and the next morning her nose was running and she had a cough. So the first thing I did on my first morning here was to go to the paediatrician with A. The next few days passed ok, A was a bit cranky and troublsome for her meals but ok otherwise. Then last Friday night, suddenly S complained of stomach ache in the night, and vomited every fifteen minutes from 12:15 am till 3 am, at which point I was exhausted and asked my mom to take her. A was woken up by the night activity and refused to sleep till 5 am. I slept from 5-7 am and when I woke S was still unwell. She had again vomited the milk she drank in the morning. Then I rushed her to the paediatrician who prescribed some vomiting medicine. S was then ok for the next few days, partly because I completely stopped her milk and also because I cut down her food intake also quite a bit. Suddenly on Sunday, A vomited out her lunch, and then when I gave her some milk, she vomited that out too. I managed to give her some milk and put her to bed. She again vomited out the evening meal. When she again vomited out the night meal I got really stressed and again rushed to the paediatrician- but this time my dad had to find one and take us as our usual paediatrican was on holiday. The doctor said to give mainly liquids for the next few days and again prescribed vomiting medicines. A and S were somewhat better on Monday, but started getting loosies and A became extremely cranky, crying for long periods and wanting to be with me all the time. Tuesday again both kids were off their food, and I had to go to the paediatrician again who prescribed medicine for loosies. Wednesday was a really bad day for S as she didnt retain any food (she vomited three times) and Thursday I restarted her vomiting medicine and took her off milk again. A has been better today and eaten most of her meals (though much reduced quantity) and had some milk. But she also vomited twice today, and every meal for both has become an exercise in coaxing and judging when both have had enough. both kids have become thin (when the hubby saw them on skype yesterday he was quite surprised). S gets tired easily, and vomits at the drop of a hat. A has become very clingy and has to be carried by me most of the day, or sit in my lap all the time, and I can't step out of the house for more than 1/2 hour without her getting very upset. I am unable to spend much time with S as a result, and sometimes she gets quite upset. As usual I gave grief to my mom about how awful this was (and now I'm feeling guilty). I hope and pray the kids recover soon, and enjoy their vacation here. I also hope for more patience and strength to manage them both alone in Zurich, I was lucky in a way that this happened in Bangalore where my mom was there to look after S and help me look after A.

2 comments:

Rohini said...

Oho. Poor you. Hope they are better now?

Mum's delight said...

They are much better now, thanks Ro