Monday, April 11, 2011

S ear piercing

We finally pierced S's ears! We went to the jewellers the week we landed in Bangalore (I wanted to finish it in the beginning itself, so the ear lobes have some time to heal before we leave for Zurich, and if any complications arise we can see to it here itself) S was great most of the time. In Bombay she had been asking when she would get her ears pierced and she was quite excited all the way to the jewellers. Then when she saw all the people there she suddenly got a bit nervous. As expected when the lady put the black marker on her ears to mark the spot where they would put the earring, she started howling- she hates ink marks on her hands/body etc . For the actual gun shot she was ok and didn't cry much! We chose a small diamond stud for S. The first gun shot went ok, S got slightly upset and I took her out for 2 minutes to distract her. She came back willingly for the second shot, and sat with a resigned look on her face! But during the second shot she suddenly moved away- luckily the lady ws super fast and managed to get the entire earring in- I was worried that the ear may have torn but it was fine. S was treated to french fries at the restaurant downstairs for being so brave. Its been two weeks now and the ears seems to have healed well touch wood. We've been putting the ointment/oil twice a day on the ears and turning the earrings round. Initially they were paining quite a bit, and she was finding it difficult to sleep on the ears and we had to be extra careful while removing her t shirt over her ears. Now the pain is mostly gone and S is looking forward to wearing a pair of dangly earrings (I've been wearing danglies for the last two days and she's been asking for her own set!). We've decided to wait till A is older to get her ears pierced. She might pull her ears when it pains, with S she understands not to, but A is too young. Speaking of earrings remind me of how I got my second hole pierced. We were in London and I'd gone shopping with my mom and sis-inlaw to the local mall. I wanted some dress and my mom refused to buy it for me (and rightly so I dont think i would have ever worn it). In a fit of defiance I announced that I was going to get my second hole pierced at the local shop there (not a jewellers but a small shop in the middle of the mall) and when I did not meet with any protests I had to go through with it. But the gun was quite painless and it didn't pain much as the earlobe is soft. Taking inspiration from the painless procedure, a few years down the line I decided to get a third hole pierced, this time at the top of my ears. Ouch it hurt like mad (the cartillage is much harder there) and even after a month the pain was bad and the ears were bleeding when I removed the earring to clean it. After suffering it out for another month I just took out the earrings and the third hole closed on its own. My aunt has a third hole in the same position and I still wistfully look at the earrings whenever I see at a function..

No comments: