Friday, April 22, 2011

A conversation in the dark

Yesterday the electrcity was off from the evening onwards due to the heavy rains. So it came to pass that after the children's dinner, S and I went to sit in the balcony, instead of congregating around the TV to watch Karadi Tales (if S has her way) or the IPL (if Ajji has her way). A was inside with Ajji while S was swinging on her red swing, and I was swinging on the cane chair (you know the kind which hangs from a hook in the ceiling). And S and I have the following conversation...
S : I have six things to tell you mama
Me: Yes
S: Don't scold A. If she is not sleeping tell her nicely and she will sleep, don't scold (the last few days A has been sleeping very badly and resultantly I have been getting more and more bad tempered)
Me: Ok
S: And don't scold her if she does not have her food. Say nicely, thinnu ma (eat dear) and she will eat
Me: Ok
S: Today you scolded me so much no. In the morning you scolded me and I felt like crying
Me (feeling bad): sorry dear. I was just telling you not to spend so much time washing your hands (S reaches the sink in her Ajji's bathroom and her favourite pastime is to keep washing her hands, turning the tap, pressing the liquid dettol soap, turning the tap....)
S: And today, when A fell down in the park, I felt very sad (A fell in the roundabout when she was trying to reach for the central post, which S was doing!)
Me: That's very sweet of you. You must look after your little sister no.
S sudden change of topic: Why are there two Bombays?
Me: You mean , we have two houses in Bombay.
S (not really getting the point): Yes..
Me: See we were staying in one house, then we had to pack our luggage for Zurich and so we moved into a hotel where we stayed for some time
S: But why do we keep changing houses in Bombay
Me: But we moved only once recently dear, as I explained above to pack..
S: but why do we have to move so many houses in Bombay
Me realising this could go on and on : Ok dear
S: Why does the current keep going in Bangalore
Me: Because of the heavy rain . Don't worry it will come back soon
S: It keeps going in Bangalore no, it doesnt go in Bombay
Me: yes dear. The electricity problem is less in Bombay
S: But why does the current keep going in bangalore
Me again realising this conversation this could go on and on
Me: So we are going to Zurich next week
S: You stay in Bombay with Aditi and Daddy will take me to Zurich!!!
Me not knowing what brought that on.
S then kept chatting to herself on some topic or the other, while I watched and wondered where my little baby had gone and who was this big girl!

No comments: