Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A day's work

This post is inspired by a post sent to me by a friend wherein a mom has detailed her day's activities in a post so that her kids would know, later in life, how busy she was bringing them up. Its also triggered by some comments of colleagues who asked how I was going to spend my time now that I was no longer working, and also the hubby who asked me once when I had not done something urgent which was to be done, what I was doing the whole day!! So here's what a typical day over the last two weeks has looked like Get up between 7 am- 8:30 am depending on when either S or A gets up. 8:30 if I'm lucky, 7 if S is unwell or A is cranky 8:30-10 am: Prepare S milk, prepare and feed A her breakfast, prepare S breakfast, sit with her at the table and convince her to eat while having my breakfast, pack S tiffin for school 10-10:15 am: Give A her morning milk, put her down for her morning nap 10:15-10:45 am: Bathe S, get her ready for school 10:45-11 :15 am : Wake up A, take A along to drop S in school 11:15-12:15 : Grocery shopping, or any errands which need to be run 12:15-1:15 : Give A her bath, feed her her lunch, have my bath while the cook keeps an eye on A 1:15-1:45: Take A and go to pick up S from school 1:45- 2:45 : Feed S her lunch, have my lunch, feed A her milk, put both kids to sleep 2:45- 4:45 : Rest for me!!! 4:45-5:30 : Feed A her evening snack, prepare S evening milk, get them ready for park/activity 5:30-7 : Park/activity 7-8:30 : Give S her soup,feed A her dinner, feed S her dinner 8:30-10 : Do nothing time. Sometimes play with the kids, read them a book, or generally lounge in front of TV while having dinner. Can't read a book or surf the net as A would want to sit on my lap and tear the book, or type on the keyboard! If I'm lucky the hubby is back by 9, or else post 10! 10-11: Both their milk, change to bedtime clothes and putting them to bed. S sleeps with the hubby, so really only putting A to bed. 11-12 am: Read a book, surf the net. 12 am- 7 am : sometime only wake up for A's night feed, or if A is cranky, end up getting up at least 3-4 times at night. Which is why I end up sleeping in the afternoon to make up for lost sleep. In between there's the many trips to the bathroom for both the kids, and if any of them is unwell, well large part of the routine goes for a toss! Sometime we manage to squeeze in time for meeting friends for lunch, or going over to their house, them coming over. Whew I'm tired from just writing this. And that too when I have a cook and a driver. In Zurich I won't have either so really wonder when I'm going to find the time to cook! So please don't ask me again what I do all day!

No comments: