Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Magic moments

There's no two ways about it. Bringing up children is challenging, mentally, physically and emotionally. But there are more than the fair share of magical moments which make all the effort worthwhile and much more. I find that I tend to get lost in the day to day upbringing of the children- the feeding, the bathing, the school round, the park round, bed time etc and rarely take a step back to enjoy these moments. This point was driven home in two recent conversations. One was with a friend whom I was pestering on when she plans to have kids. She mentioned that after seeing and hearing me struggle with my two she was in no hurry! Another conversation was with a friend who had a baby and had had a similar conversation with her friend. She made a very valid point, we generally tend to only discuss the difficulties with our friends/colleagues -the sleepless nights, the feeding problems, the restrictions, the difficulties when they are ill, and rarely share the good times. I definetly find this so in my case. I am anyway a whiner and given an opportunity could go on whining about my job, my life, blah blah. But I find I am also hesitant about sharing the children's good times with others (with the exception of my mom to whom I give daily updates on all the good and bad things which happened that day) maybe because I feel they may not relate to it, or may find it odd why I am telling them such things. So here's a post to share some of the magical moments which come to mind, which will help me also take a step back and look at the broader picture
I love it when S returns from school and tells me what all she did that day, what craft she did, whom she played with
I love it when S comes to me and asks whether I'm feeling better and whether my jaw abbu (hurt) is ok now and reassures me that it will get ok tomorrow
I love S singing along and jumping around in musical bonding class and enjoying herself
I love both the kids jumping on the bed/on the hubby and me
I love the hubby doing supergirl to both kids / swinging both kids around vigorously and the kids squealing in delight
I love kissing their toes, and tickling their tummies and arms
I love their splashing in the bath tub, S covered in bubbles during her bath, and A vigorously splashing the water during her bath
I love all the naughtiness that A has started to do- she puts on the TV with a remote, climbs on top of the sofa and starts changing channels. She takes all the food stuff from the drawers and puts it in her pram. She keeps disconnecting the phone receiver from the phone body (not so funny if it doesn't go back)
I love it when A puts on the musical toy and starts dancing to it
I love taking them to the park, watching A's excitement on seeing the ducks and S trying to climb new things everyday
I love S goodnight kiss and hug and how she announces I'm going to give you a kiss and a hug
I love it when S crawls into my bed in the morning, or will keep and pat my face to wake me up and never complains when I refuse to wake up but just pull her up and make her sleep

I love you two, and now I find that the times I wish you guys would grow up faster (like when we're in a restaurant and A refuses to sit anywhere but my lap) are getting balanced out with the times I wish you two would not grow up so fast. I will miss my cuddly bundles with their ready (and one of them toothless) smiles


I love A saying mamma mamma throughout the day



2 comments:

Anita said...

Nice post.

And looks like you have to expect a different kind of happiness when you have kids..not the kind you get from spontaneously jumping out to watch a movie or going for a drink or staying up till wee hours knowing you can sleep in.

Mum's delight said...

very true. I guess as we go through different phases in life different things give us happiness. Sounds very profound right, but you know what I mean :)