Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sibling bonding

A recent conversation with S
Hubby : We are going to Zurich for a few days next month . Mummy, daddy and S
S : What about A?
Hubby : Its very cold there right now so we're leaving A behind
S : Why? A had a pink flowery jacket no, she can wear that
Hubby not sure what to say now : Uhmm, its very cold for that jacket sweetie

After half an hour, with no reference to above conversation S says to me, A has pink flower jacket no, let her wear that and come to Zurich!

I can see more and more instances of sibling bonding and also some sibling rivalry between S and A now. If we praise A for doing anything- walking, climbing, or eating something on her own, then S will immediately do the same thing- including getting into A's bouncer! As a result A's bouncer is more or less completely unusable now and we've taken out S old bouncer.

A also wants only what S has - yesterday for instance I gave a bowl of popcorn for S and a smaller bowl for A. A had a couple from her bowl, and then went over to S to see whether she was having the same thing. She then refused to take from her own bowl and kept taking from S bowl! I think it would be simpler to keep one big bowl in the future. Even with books, if I am reading a book to S, then A will come and sit on my lap and insist on seeing the same book, and then if I ask S to go and do some activity, and continue reading the same book to A she will lose interest within 10 seconds!

Initially S used to get very upset if I took A alongwith me to pick her up from school, but slowly she has got adjusted to it and sometimes now when I go alone she asks why A has not come. I was pleasantly suprised when her teacher took A's name and told me that S had told her about A. She also helps me to feed A by showing her toys and entertaining her, and sometimes if A is crying during her bath (which she does if she's having head bath) then S will come inside, give her a toy and very sweetly say, "A stop crying"
The other day I finally managed to take both of them for the musical bonding class. S was initially quite clingy during the class and I was not sure how A would take to the music and loud noise so I took only S and went. But after about 5 classes S settled down with the other children, teacher there and finally I was confident enough to take them both. A was surprisingly independent. She sat next to me (while S sat on my lap) and either played the musical instruments, or would chew them!, or would look around in amazement at what's happening. It was also her usual nap time so she was a bit more subdued and did not generally walk around and try to pull down stuff. S kept bringing instruments for A to play and while the two of them did not play together, they did not fight with each other also!

But sometimes the green monster does rear its head. The other day in the park, for no reason whatsoever S picked up some sand and threw it near A's face! She hasn't done it again, but I need to be more careful till A gets older.

But its good fun to see them play together. Of course there are limited things they can do together- no clay/lego/magnets/stickers etc since A promptly puts it in the mouth. Even blocks, S will make a tower and A will proceed to demolish it, but they sometimes sit together on the cycle/ on the bike, the other day they sat on adjacent swings on the park! and even went on the same slide. At home they play ball with each other, but their favourite game is to climb on top of the sofa - not the sitting part but the headboard, which gives me many tense moments! Wonder how the younger ones always pick up the naughty habits first!

No comments: