Monday, June 13, 2016

A's first presentation

So A had her first presentation at school. I kid you not - it was to be made on power point and presented to the class. You could make a poster if the child was uncomfortable using power point but it was preferable to use ppt.
Well i did not use ppt even in business school (it was OHP for us all the well) and I thought this is wonderful for A - she can go straight from year 1 to becoming CEO of a business (she already shouts when she doesn't have her way and delegates all her work to S so she's nearly there).

The first step was choosing the topic. There was a list of topics to chose from and one day while waiting to pick up A from school i glanced at them. I found Gobi desert and thought to myself, what a good way for A to learn about the desert in Rajasthan and learn about India. Clearly I don't know my geography. WE got home and I told the hubby we have to make a presentation on Gobi desert and then found it's in Mongolia. Never mind, Looks like I need geography lessons more than A!

So the hubby sat with A over a couple of weekends and they got some good stuff on the Gobi desert from the internet and put together a simple presentation. A chose the pictures, typed in the words on the slides and the hubby was responsible for the pasting and the formatting. I then did a surreptitious spell check on the words :)

A practised a couple of times and then was ready for her presentation at school. WE gave the presentation on a USB drive to the teacher at school and printed out a copy for her to read from while the ppt was on the screen behind her. She even learned the tough words like T-rex and Hadrosaurus!

The presentation turned out well i believe. She was able to present without becoming too shy and answer some of the questions. It amazes me how quickly technology moves forward at such a rapid pace and how we have to keep up. My first presentation was in business school and was a SWOT analysis on POSCO in the steel industry. It was on OHP and certainly did not involve any power point.


Here is A's first presentation...wish I had kept a copy of mine!




No comments: