Saturday, December 13, 2014

What i can learn from the kids

Over the last few weeks I've been struck by some of the things i could learn from the girls

1. Absolute honesty : I remember when i was young I used to be 100% truthful, no white lies, always believing that its nothing but the whole truth. Over the years, while i try to avoid situations where i have to lie, I do indulge in some white lies to 'soften' the situation. But no so with the girls. One day at ice skating they split up the groups and S was put in a separate group from her friend. I knew she would get upset so i took her aside and explained to her that since they are at different levels they have been split and S has been skating for longer than her friend and is better so is at a higher group. My mistake. When her friend came and found that she was in a different group she got upset and what did S say? I'm better than you so I'm in this group. And i was like, crap. Of course her friend's mum and I intervened and got them together into the same group but afterwards I was trying to explain to S that sometimes its better not to be so truthful, and that one has to also be modest and judge the situation. I don't think she got it.
In another example, we were trying to sneak A into a cinema theatre (they allow only 6 years plus, even for kiddie cartoon movies!!!) and were trying to prep her to say that she is 6 years old if someone asks and we knew it was a losing battle the minute we started. She refused to speak or would give some funny answer!

2. Kindness and thought for others : S and I were baking muffins for her end of year christmas party at school and she insisted on making one with no chocolate chips for a boy in her class who is allergic to chocolate, and another with only 3 choc chips for her friend who doesn't like chocolate. Its amazing to see S being aware of people's different needs around her and trying to accomodate them. I think that stopped for me a long time ago!

3. Kids pick up on a lot more than you give them credit for : The hubby has a habit of coming home and relaxing reading his IPAd after work while the girls are having their dinner. I am usually doing the dishes or sorting out their school stuff for them at this time. I don't mind since I work part time and have the time from 3 pm to 7 pm to relax a bit (gossip with other moms/run on the treadmill etc) but the other day when i was parking the car and about to go into the house A said, Daddy must be at home doing his IPAD while you have to do all the work!!! You can be sure I mentioned this to the hubby many times :)

In other updates, I had a lovely spa weekend with some of my friends last  weekend. We went to a spa hotel in Flims. Some great massages and lunch/dinner/treks and quality time without being interrupted by the kids. I am now refreshed and ready for the next year of bickering, complaining and whining!

No comments: