Monday, February 4, 2013

Drawing tips

S loves to draw and paint. So much so that daily at home she will make at least 2-3 drawings and ask to paint at least once, and same if not more at school. She also loves to distribute her drawings and paintings and her Ajja, Ajji and cousins are beneficiaries of this kindness. Am not sure what they do with all these 'gifts' but at least a couple of them have got preserved thanks to the cunningness (is that a proper word) of the hubby and I. We hit upon an ideal christmas gift for S and A's cousins - framed drawings/paintings by S. Two of the cousins were kind enough to accept it graciously and be excited about it (yeah, I'm sure!) but the other two left it right where S had given it to them and my sis in law had to intervene and take them and thank us politely for it. Well, they will thank me when S becomes the next Picasso and they sell those drawings/paintings for millions.

Another set of beneficiaries of S generosity are her friends in school. Early enough she learnt that the boys in her class are not so impressed with her drawings (one of them refused to take it) so now she restricts it only to the girls. I didn't know how many drawings S was generating on a daily basis, until I was at the home of one of her friends, and the mom showed me a stack of drawings and said that daily S gives 2-3 drawings to her daughter N who faithfully brings it home. I thanked the mom for kindly keeping the drawings and not throwing them away, until the mom admitted that she was planning to throw them away as soon as N stopped paying attention to them. Then another mom chipped in saying that S gives some to her daughter as well and has even made a couple for the mom (which the daughter brings home).

Well, my drawing skills are also flourishing under these circumstances. Most of the time S draws her own pictures but sometimes she asks us to draw something which she will colour in. I am terrible at drawing and all requests for drawing animals, vehicles etc etc were diverted to the hubby who is much better at it than me. Unfortunately he is travelling quite a bit these days and I find it difficult to avoid S repeated requests so I luckily stumbled upon this excellent site - http://www.my-how-to-draw.com/  which has step by step instructions (actually drawings) of how to draw very basic things. Thank you - I owe you one! Now i can make a helicopter and an owl, and who knows what I will learn tomorrow. S spends a happy 15 mins elaborately colouring in the drawings, adding stickers etc. This is our latest one - an owl. Sorry for the picture quality- its taken with my mobile (Nokia) which is not really known for its camera!

Which brings me to the drawing interests of A. Or rather the lack of it. Sometimes S will ask me to stick some of her drawing on the inside of my cupboard which I gladly do. A sees this and not to be outdone insists that I stick her drawings also on the inside of the other cupboard door. To which I reply that she had no drawings. A immediately enlists the hubby to draw something for her (sometimes Dora, sometimes an animal) and when we ask her to colour it in, she refuses and enlists S to colour it in for her. Super delegation!! Then she hands over the drawings to me (of which not even 1% is done by her) and insists I hang it on the cupboard and proudly proclaims it her drawings!


1 comment:

Anita said...

Clearly A delights in imitating S! Too cute. And S is so cool. Wonder where she got her artistic streak