Sunday, June 10, 2012

Such elaborate planning for a simple dinner

So finally we hosted our first proper dinner party last night. We've had people over before but it was really informal and  basically we would just feed them what we were eating or make dosas which are a big hit! The Diwali party last years was a potluck and my contribution was curd rice so that doesn't count.

So the entire morning went in cleaning the house. It didn't help that it coincided with the shifting of S bed and toys into her bedroom and shifting of the study table and book case into the dining room. Much lugging and pushing and carrying of books and toys and backbreaking work spilling over most of the day.
And the food planning was quite exhaustive for me. I've always relied on my cook, or else ordered from outside so planning starters and main course, including stuff for children was quite a challenge.

So the menu turned out as follows
Starters: Vegetable puffs, Egg puffs (yes i made these myself. But it's not a big deal, you get the puff dough here so you just need to roll it out, make the inside stuffing, fold it and bung it into the oven).
Main course: Chicken biryani (made by the hubby), Bhindi raita to go with the chicken biryani, Vegetarian lasagne, and Bisibelebath
Desserts: No energy for this so it was just plain simple ice cream. That's the one good thing about Zurich, the ice creams are so good here you can never go wrong with them. Actually the cakes and ice creams have to be good here, none of the other food is!

The party was fun and it didn't turn out to be that tiring. The kids enjoyed playing together,  and kept running around the house and when it was getting late and they were getting cranky it was the I Pad to the rescue. It was so funny hearing their conversation. They are discussing what games they have on their IPad and they are 4 years old. Its like, I have this on my IPad and I have this on mine. Firstly it's not their I Pad! and secondly when i was growing up it was more like my pencil is sharper than yours or my pencil box has a shiny sticker. These kids these days...

No comments: