Monday, December 5, 2011

A very homemade birthday celebration

Last week was the hubby's birthday (he now officially enters middle age!) and we celebrated it quite differently from how we usually celebrate birthdays. The girls made cards for their Daddy. S made it all by herself- she loves drawing and playing with the glitter glue and stickers, - and wouldn't let me help (even to put the stickers the right way up). I mostly made A's card - she doodled all over it and stuck the stickers, but the glitter glue and design was all mine (wicked glint in eye). It was fun making the cards, think I'm going to get the girls to make cards for all occasions now.
I baked a lemon cake. Ok, it was a ready mix from the shop, but the mixing of the eggs, butter and water into it was all my work, so let me take credit for it. The cake didn't turn out looking that great (the tip said to cut a small line in the middle about 15 mins into the baking so that it fluffs up well, the cake ended up looking quite funny with a large split in the middle after baking as it puffed up quite a bit). Still it tasted yum!






The cake and the cards...







During the day, I took the hubby for his first ice skating lesson. I don't really know how to teach ice skating so we just held hands and skated along. Not so romantic though- more like he clung on to my hand, and i pulled him along! But it was good fun. The kids were at school and it felt like we were sneaking out for a date! And not a cheap birthday present i might add. The teachers here are so expensive, that if I charged for the class I'm sure I would've earned quite a bit!

So all in all quite a homemade birthday celebration.

At night we went to this restaurant called Crazy Cow for dinner. It was recommended by a friend who said it was a kid friendly place. But we got lot of strange looks as we walked in with the kids at 9:30 pm (kids are usually asleep by 8 pm here), but we just ignored them and went about our dinner. The kids were busy with balloons and colouring, and apart from an incident where A threw her balloon at the hubby which led to his beer spillling all over him, it was fine (and quite funny i might add).




1 comment:

Anita said...

Happy birthday to the Dad! I realsied these stories remind me of my childhood when we used to make cards for all occassions and my mom used to bake amateur cakes. I used to love all of it and I bet so do A and S.

The ice skating sounds pretty cool!Did not know you knew how to do it.