Monday, September 19, 2011

Technological advances

When I was in school, communication between teachers and parents was mostly through letters/notes/reports put in the child's bag or given to the children to give to their parents. Details of forthcoming parent teachers meeting would be passed on through the children. I being the earnest, hardworking student that I was would immediately pass on all such school notes to my mom, while my ingenious brothers would hide all that they could. They even convinced my mom that there was no PTA meetings in their new school during their 11th/10th standard, and imagine my mom's surprise when she met a teacher while she was shopping alongwith my brother and the teacher accused her of being a lazy parent and not coming for any PTA meetings.
Anyway cutting to the chase, communication between school teachers and parents was not very regular and usually through the children.
And then S tells me today that a boy T in her class did not wear his jacket when they went walking to the woods (its actually quite a big deal as its very cold here now and inside the school its heated so kids don't easily agree to wear jackets in anticipation of the cold outside) and the teacher told T that she would send an email to his mom that he was not wearing his jacket!!!!
I couldn't help smiling. Agree that everything is online now, all school events are put up on the site, the weekly bulletin is online, but a pre school teacher sending an email to a parent about a child, and the child understanding what an email is. I found it quite funny. And imagine, now kids will have to be doubly ingenious to breakthrough this cosy nexus of teacher-parents. How will they now hide information from their parents? Hack their parents email accounts and delete all teacher's mails? Break their mom's iphones and put viruses in the home computer? The mind boggles...

1 comment:

Anita said...

ha ha. Well, for once technology is not leaving parents baffled but is actually helping! Yours brothers are too funny I must say.