Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting spoilt rotten

All three of us girls are getting spoilt rotten at my mom's place. S has stopped her playschool (she went for the first three weeks, hated it, complained to her ajji and has been allowed to discontinue) and bosses over everybody in the house the whole day. She feeds the dogs with her Ajja, plays and eats with her Ajji, is allowed to sit at the dining table and make a mess of all the food there, watches her movies on TV during breakfast, lunch and dinner and after dinner (Ajja and Ajji get to catch only snippets of their cricket matches), tells her Ajji not to have lunch, dinner, talk on the phone etc etc. The maid has been relieved of her other duties and spends most of her time playing with S- taking her to the terrace to water the plants, taking her down to the garden to play with her car/ cycle/see the dogs /watch the gardner at work etc. I'm mostly in charge of the outside entertainment and think i'm doing a decent job. S either goes to the neighbourhood park, or the large park fifteen mins away, orswimming , or to a friends place everyday. We've been pretty busy meeting other kids. Two of my cousins who stay in Bangalore have kids about one year older than S, and one of my cousins who stays in Australia was down for a month and her daughter is the same age as S. We've been meeting them pretty often- there was a kiddies pool party at my cousin's place where they put up inflatable pools for the kids- they had called us, my cousin with 2 kids. another couple with two kids, and a neighbour with one kid so the pools very pretty packed. S enjoyed herself quite a bit, but i had not got swimming diapers for her, so took her out of the pool in about 1/2 hour. But she enjoyed playing in the garden after that- they have a slide in the garden, and many toys inside the house so she was quite busy, while i got to relax with a watermelon-vodka cocktail (was pretty yum!). The next time my cousins came over to my place, and again the kids went beserk. They had got some balloons along and kept bouncing them all over the place. They played hide and seek, and generally kept running around the house. My mom managed to entertain the older ones with stories, while the younger ones either slept in their bouncer ("A"), or crawled all over the house, or pulled out all my clothes/babies diapers from my cupboard. But we were chilling over wine/beer and were not too worried for a change. My cousin sometimes brings her son to the same park where i take S and afterwards we go over to their house and S loves to play on the swing and car in their house. Overall she's been pretty entertained and busy here. She misses the hubby a lot though and keeps asking to speak to daddy, and whenever she sees a book in which there's a daddy, or once when i introduced her to my cousin's husband as this is X's daddy she's quick to say " where's my daddy".

I've been getting prety much spoilt as well. Starting from the late sleep ins in the morning, when my mom takes care of A, to getting out for dinner with the hubby alone without kids (after so long!!)- we went to Sunny's -lovely place, don't know why i haven't been before, to getting out for a lunch to my cousin's place and leaving A behind, to even catching a movie ("Love Happens, not so great, but enjoyed the afternoon out), going swimming thrice a week (best way to lose weight after a C-Sec, i manage to do about 11 laps now for 25 mins which while not great is some exercise!) and even getting an afternoon siesta while my mom oversees the baby maid looking after A. Yes i am getting terribly spoilt and wonder how i am ever going to go back to work! Not to mention the endless cups of coffee at home and the yummy food, and not having to lift a finger.

A is the least spoilt. The baby maid is with her the whole day, and plays with her, talks to her and looks after her pretty well. I am less attentive this time- maybe because of S (she wants me around a lot more, and i spend a lot of time trying to take her out to places), or maybe because i want a little more time for myself (swimming, going out once in a while) since i know this will not be the case once i get back to Bombay and my mom wont be around to look after the kids, and maybe because I know at this stage i can get away with this, but once A become older she will be more demanding of my time. Maybe I'm a bad mother, and sometime i feel quite guily about not spending more time with A, but she is happy and we all dote on her. Her grandfather especially and she has a special smile for him evertime he speaks to her.

Just a month more here...sigh...

2 comments:

Rohini said...

I'm totally jealous. I could do with some spoiling... And some vodka

Mum's delight said...

Agree, I'm so tempted to quit and stay back in Bangalore till the kids get older!