Friday, April 9, 2010

Addendum to Discplining S

My sis-in-law came to my rescue in the standoff between S and me yesterday. Despite the cold shoulder from me for over 2 hours yesterday, S refused to say sorry and i was wondering how to salvage the situation without eating humble pie and ensuring that S got the point.

I mean i did not want to give her the cold shoulder endlessly, but neither did i want her to think calling me stupid was acceptable. My sis in law had some good solutions- one was that if i was to try the ignore technique, i should set a time frame for it, saying that i would not play with S for say 1 hour and then we would chat with her about her behaviour. The other solution was that if S was being stubborn about saying sorry, then i could ask her to tell sorry in some other way- for eg give me a hug and then we resolve the situation. I finally went for this and got a big hug from S and i think she understood that she had done something wrong as she ran to my mom who had gone out for a couple of hours and said she had done something bad and mummy was angry.

No comments: