Friday, July 19, 2013

The more things change, the more they stay the same

So the other day i was just whining to my friend about how all my colleagues speak only German to each other and don't involve me in their conversation and about how nobody calls me for lunch and I have to eat all my myself on my desk. Then she started laughing and told me how I'd had a problem about eating alone even in my graduation college.
So the other day, after i picked up my sandwich  and was making my way back to my desk, I thought to myself, this can't be right. I'm much older and wiser now. I have two kids and I can't have the same complexes and worries I did 15 years back. So I walked over to the open space outside my office and prepared to sit all by myself and enjoy my lunch. As it happens, one of my colleagues (not in my dept but on the same floor as me) joined me and we spent lunchtime bitching about these bl**** Germans and how no one speaks English in this office or in this city! She's also an expat in case you were wondering.

And today, I again sat all by myself outside and ate my salad in the hot sun and felt proud that I had finally grown up!

1 comment:

Anita said...

I eat lunch by myself practically everyday. I used to find it strange and feel very self conscious but now I quite like the me-time