Friday, February 3, 2012

Brrrr its cold

It's minus 15 degrees celsius as I write this. Helps that it's night time and i can snuggle in my bed. But it's not that better during the day. Today morning when i stepped out to drop the kids to school it was minus 11 degrees. I couldn't feel my nose when i was walking. And if you take your gloves off for even 5 seconds, you're hands get frozen immediately and turn red.

S loves the cold and the snow. She's ever eager to make snowballs, run around in the snow, do sledding etc. A finds it too cold. She gets irritated with her gloves and then finds it too cold to be outside. I've taught her to put her hands in her jacket pocket to avoid the cold, and I think she's internalised this pretty well. Today afternoon when i woke her up from her afternoon nap, she was trying to put her hands inside her shirt in her sleep, saying 'hands in pocket'.

The morning drop off to school is tiring. The car is parked outside and gets covered in snow. It takes me ten minutes to bundle the kids up, carry A to the car (it's slippery in the ice), put them in, scrape the snow off the car, and run the heater for 5 mins before the windscreen is clear enough for me to drive. Tuesdays and Thursdays are especially bad as I have to drop S to the main school where the car park is a 350 m walk from the school building and A finds it really cold to be out and about so early in the morning. Still there are younger kids braving it out so I should not complain.

The city is beautiful in the snow. Everything is covered in white and looks so serene and pretty. On the days the sun comes out is radiates off the snow and everything looks spectacular. I can't say I'm enjoying the cold, but its not as bad as I'd expected. We're planning to go tomorrow and buy a sled for S so that she can enjoy the snow more while it lasts.
Till then, back to my yummy hot chocolate..

1 comment:

Anita said...

Nice to know S is enjoying the snow. And clearly A is a true Bombay girl if she does not like the cold too much