Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Finding a paediatrician!

What a challenge its been to find a paediatrician for the kids. The week I landed here I asked a friend for her paediatrician's number as I was warned that they take a couple of weeks to give an appointment, and I wanted to establish contact with a pd before the kids fall sick and it becomes an emergency. I must have tried the number some 10 times, on different days at different times, and I kept getting a recorded message in German which i just couldn't undertand.
Then the hubby got a local pd number from his GP and when I tried that number i was delighted to get a person who spoke English. When I explained that i was looking for a doctor for the kids she asked me to hold a minute and then got back saying that they are full and can't take any more patients!!!! Can you imagine, never in Mumbai did any doctor say they were too full, ever willing to work harder, make people wait for longer, but never no to new business!
She gave me a number of another nearby pd. I tried that, again some recorded message in German. I was really frustrated by now. I called the earlier doctor again hoping they would change their mind, but she just gave me another three numbers. The first two had messages in German, and the third kept ringing. I tried again and this time the third number picked up and I actually got an appointment. Hallelujah!
Anyway, with the help of google maps, the kids and I set out for the pd this morning. The kids were delighted to see a separate toy room there and kept themselves entertained while I filled out the registration forms. Later S actually left the doctors room and went off to the toy room alone while the doctor was giving A her vaccines. The doctor was extremely friendly with the kids and put them easily at ease and took interest in their individual requirements- asked about S speech (she still cant say "rr") and A's feeding habits/overall growth. I was quite happy overall and relieved to have finally fixed up the pd.
Now on to other things...

1 comment:

Anita said...

Ah. One more thing off the list. Good work