Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Resigned to my fate!

I resigned from work today. Was so much easier than I thought it would be. When I told the hubby about it he asked me how i felt. Probably thought i was feeling upset about leaving my job and disrupting a career i had built with a lot of effort and hard work. But not really. I feel very relieved and free. It has been a struggle ever since S was born, and if you see my earlier post about whether to work or not, a large part of the decision to continue was because there was an option to continue, with maids/help from mom etc . I felt the pressure of having studied hard, having worked hard and the knowledge that maybe 5 years down the line when the kids are in school I may be too long out of the workforce to get back to the level/momentum i left off. 
But now the decision is out of my hands and i am glad. I plan to focus on spending more time with the kids (this part time work from home is ok to a large extent but due to connectivity problems and the pressure of the job, and unpredictably of young children it becomes quite stressful and you end up spending less time with children that you had expected and being more stressed than you had expected), more time cultivating my hobbies- i just dont have any hobbies be it reading/playing an instrument/some sport etc /or even updating the blog and so far i was like ok i hardly get any time between the 2 kids and the job, but Zurich will be an excellent place to start cultivating some hobbies. Will be tough with 2 kids around, but maybe the hobby will just be to go to museums/art galleries, and go travelling in the weekends. 

What has probably made the decision to leave work easier is that i was in the end getting bored of the job. Some of the deals were very challenging, the money was good, and my colleagues were nice, but not being a part of the front end means that you cannot dictate the kind of work you end up doing, and you are often asked to do something in the last minute, with minimal information. I should have addressed these points and asked for a more challenging role in the last 1-2 years but i also took it as an opportunity to continue in a role where i am familiar with what needs to be done so that  I can focus on the kids. I might even decide to change fields in Zurich (of course not getting a spouse work permit might make it even easier to take the decision to study something else and take that up)
Anyways, the deed is done, i am officially without a job, and off the workforce (ok i need to serve out my notice period) . 

No comments: