Thursday, December 17, 2009

A quick update

S has her first sports day tomorrow. Yes she is less than 2, and people can ask (like my boss) what sports do 2 year olds play, but I think it will be fun for her to interact with her playschool mates, and more fun for me as mom to watch S run around all over the place. While the hubby has been teaching her to run fast and come first in the race, I think it would be a great achievement if she runs in the right direction and reaches the end line without getting distracted. The big question is whether to go or not. The hubby is off to Sri Lanka for four days for some office offsite, and I would need to manage all alone. I know this sounds like I am a helpless damsel and cannot manage S on my own without the hubby, but now that I’m in the 8th month everything is so much tougher, and I understand from the teachers that the playschool parents would need to get actively involved in the races since the kids will be too young to understand properly. And I don’t want a situation there where S is the only kid whose parents are not running in the race since a) Daddy is not there and b) Mummy cannot run…Also it starts at 7:45 in the morning, we are all so lazy that we wake up only around 8 am so it means getting S out of bed early, and getting ready fast instead of lazing around the house on a Saturday morning. But on the other hand it would be so cute to see S participating in her first Sports day, and I don’t want her to miss out because I’m pregnant/too lazy. Will think over it tonight…
Separately S has started interacting with her cousins much more post Diwali. We skype both my brothers once in two weeks and S is totally thrilled when her cousins show her their Santa Claus outfits /stockings/tree etc and keeps jumping up and down in front of the laptop. We also skype my sis-in-law who doesn’t have kids as of yet, but she and her hubby keep S well entertained with a collection of stuffed animals.
We have also started taking S swimming as much as possible- roughly translating into once in two weeks since the club we are members of is about an hour from the house. We usually go on Sunday morning, have a leisurely swim- S has her floaty boat where she can put her legs through it and float around in the water. There’s also a kiddies pool there which is much more shallow where she can walk around, and if we remember to take any of her bath animals (pufferfish, Nemo, frog, fish,penguin etc) then S usually runs around the kiddies pool playing with them. Good fun. There is a nice park also in the club, and after her swim S usually plays in the park for some time. Then depending on our enthu levels we either have lunch at the club itself (easier since S can run around in the big lawn there while we wait for the lunch) or we’ll try out some new restaurant in town. Anyway by the time we get back home its usually 4 in the afternoon, and all of us crash out till about 6 in the evening! So a simple swim turns out to be a day long affair. But S really enjoys it so its worth it.
Am having second thoughts about changing S school from January onwards when I’m planning to take my maternity leave. We will move house and the current playschool would be pretty far from the new house, so I signed her up for a new playschool which is much closer to the new house. It would be difficult to take her to the old playschool since it would take half an hour to get there, then the session is only for two hours which means if I go home, I need to again leave in an hour to pick her up, and there’s nothing for me to hang around there doing for two hours, and the total travel time for me would be two hours – and when I’m supposed to be relaxing on maternity. But S really likes this school- she keeps talking about her friends in this school- she knows some 5-6 names, and last week when the baby maid took off, I left S at school from 9:30-1:30 everyday, as against 9-11 only and she attended the second playgroup, and had her milk and snacks with the teacher without any complaint (and was reluctant to leave when I went to pick her up)-so she’s pretty much well settled here and she would need to get all settled again in the new school. Also the new school is a Montessori and focuses more on learning, and doesn’t have as many toys and playground stuff like slides/cars etc as this school and S really loves them. Wondering what to do!

No comments: