Saturday, September 6, 2008

A delighted mom

I started this post in the 3rd month of my pregnancy. Somewhere in between my website disappeared and i had neither the technical skills or the time to find it. Today is my daughter's seventh month birthday and i felt it important to take the time to create a post for me to log all the delightful things my darling is upto both for me to read back to and for her to see when she grows up.
A couple of caveats - my writing skills are terrible, this is intended just to be a post for me to express my feelings and thoughts and it is highly likely that there won't be a smooth flow nor grammatical correctness
secondly this is mostly going to be about my family, so please don;t read on if you are expecting any thoughts about life and universe in general.

So how have the last seven months been. In summary a mixed bag
Firstly i was completely unprepared for what having a baby entails. I had read 3 books on pregnancy and none on what to do after the baby is born. In my defense i can argue that i was working till the day before S was born (she was 12 days early) and i had taken the rest of the time as leave from office in order to prepare for the baby. Fact of the matter is, my mom was around, my husband was going to take 2 weeks leave and given that my pregnancy was a risky one (with lots of bed rest) I thought my job would be largely done once i had given birth to the baby, and everything would be easily taken care off.
And in fact once S was born the first week flew past like anything and the missed sleep, troubles with feeding, recovery pain etc did not register in the awe and delight in having your child in your arms. Once i came back home the whole responsibily of it dawned on me. While i did not get post partum blues I moved very fast from being a delighted mom to being a paranoid mom. I hope, now with S at 7 months I can become less paranoid and spend more time being delighted. Have to rush now, but some things i am going to post on are:
1. trouble with feeding
2. missed sleep?
3. what to expect from father?
4. Getting back to work
5. the hired help
6. daily battle with solids
7. daily visits to the park

No comments: