Monday, May 27, 2013

Food woes

Just back from a 10 day trip to Portugal and Spain. Lovely trip, full of sun and sand and will blog about that later. But first a rant about the food. Its impossible being a vegetarian there. I don't think they understand the concept of not eating meat and fish. If it said no meat, and are there any veg dishes on the menu, they would rattle of all the fish dishes, and if i said no meat, no fish, then what would be left is salad!!
And the worst is tapas. In all the tapas restaurants i could have either potato (fried or in a salad) or fried peppers. And that's it. And that's lunch/dinner not a tea time snack. By the end of it I was longing for good old sambhar rice and vegetables, or even some veg pasta!
And to top it off, the girls are so fussy and either want chicken nuggets or fish fingers, so half the time I was in McDonalds eating a vegetable burger which consisted of two buns, cheese and lettuce. The last two days I put my foot down and we went to a nice Indian restaurant and I completely pigged out, so none of the benefits of losing weight on this trip!
I think its good the girls are not as fussy as me. They have survived on sausages, fish fingers and chicken nuggets most of the trip. Otherwise it would have only been fries or bread so at least this way they get some proteins and some variety.
The food was quite bland also, the only exception being the Goan Portugese restaurant we stumbled upon in Lisbon, so couple of days the hubby and I got innovative with the small rice cooker we carry to make dal rice for the girls (yes i'm terrible, i cook on holidays for the girls!!) and made spicy veg paella, and chole rice!
Ok, enough ranting, the next post will have something other than food!

2 comments:

Anita said...

Thank god both the girls eat meat! But I suspect you carry the cooker more for yourself than the girls :)

Mum's delight said...

You are spot on! The cooker is really for me and my Maggi !